Monday, February 11, 2019

An experiment to find out how changing the concentration of acid :: GCSE Chemistry Coursework Investigation

An experiment to find come on how changing the absorption of sulfurous bear upons the vagabond of reactionPlanning considerI am to find out how changing the concentration of the hydrochloricacid (HCL) acts the rate of reaction. The hydrochloric acid volition bereacting with marble chips (small, medium, large).During my experiment I exit be changing one variable. This exit be theconcentration of the acid. I will use the concentration of HCL from0.5 molar/dm3 to 3.0 molar/dm3. I will use 3grams of marble chips for every(prenominal) size of chip. By doing this I will find out if the rate ofreaction is quicker or slacker using a different concentration of acid.The equation I will be using isCaCO3 (s) + 2HCl (aq) CaCl2 (aq) + H20 (l) + CO2 (g)Calcium Hydrochloric Calcium wet CarbonCarbonate Acid Chloride DioxideMethodFirstly I essential get the correct equipment and assemble it safely andcorrectly. To do this I will fill a water tray half full with water.Then I will collect 3 g medium chips. I will measure 30cm3 ofhydrochloric acid. I will connect the delivery tube to the measuringcylinder which is sour over which will be full with water. This isshown on my diagram. I will begin timing using a stopwatch and takethe results every 10 seconds for 1 minute. I will use 0.5molar/dm3 to3.0molar/dm3 of hydrochloric acid and record 3 sets of results andthen I will take an average.Fair sortIn order to make my experiment safe I will change only one thing. Iwill be changing the concentration of the acid. Everything else willremain the same through out the experiment. I will use the sameequipment and do the experiment during the same lesson where I can.This can be important because room temperature can increase the rateof reaction. The temperature could be higher on a certain day andaffect my results.Background InformationRates of Reaction* Increasing the temperature increases the rate of a chemical reaction.* Some chemical reactions are fast and others are slow. A fast reaction could be a rocket exploding, and a slow reaction is metal rusting.* Rates of reaction can be deliberate by finding out how quickly a product is create or how quickly a reactant is used up.* Examples of measuring reaction range include measurement of the volume of gas formed, and measurement of the loss in mass when a gas is given off.How does surface demesne affect a chemical reaction? If one of the reactants is a solid, the surface area of the solid will

No comments:

Post a Comment