Wednesday, May 6, 2020

I Am From Two Different Cultural Backgrounds, Which Makes...

Oluwadolanimi Zoe Tope-Banjoko Sociology 101-901 Prof. Ajeeta Bhatia Word Count- MY LIFE JOURNEY SO FAR My name is Oluwadolanimi Zoe Tope-Banjoko; I was born on the 30th of April, 1999, in Nigeria. I am from two different cultural backgrounds, which makes me Multicultural. Nigeria is a very big country with very diverse culture. There are 36 states in Nigeria, with more than 250 ethnic groups , and over 521 languages. I raised in Nigeria and spent my most fundamental years there. I have three siblings, two older sisters and a twin brother. My oldest sister (first born) in a Criminal Law and Penal Change lawyer, who studied in University of Hull, Yorkshire and University of Strathclyde, Glasgow Scotland. My other sister (second born) is a child psychologist in Maryland, USA, she studied in University of Maryland, Baltimore county and went to gradate school in Virginia Commonwealth University. I attended Pre-school in Frobel Foundation School, Ibadan, then I changed schools , and started attending Marella International School, Ibadan. I started Primary school at the age of five, which was earlier than my classmates, so I was always younger than everyone in all my levels of schooling. I was in primary school till the age of ten, and transferred to a federally owned High School, International School Ibadan, Ibadan. I was there for the whole of my junior school year (3 years), and transferred back to Marella International School, which wasShow MoreRelatedA Multicultural Self Assessment That I1055 Words   |  5 PagesJournal: Multicultural Awareness Below, I will discuss the results of a multicultural self-assessment that I took. I will describe a time in which I felt â€Å"other†. I will then proceed to explain my personal feelings regarding each. I will discuss a course of action I plan to take as a result of the multicultural assessment. I will develop a counseling identity statement. Finally, I will explain why multicultural awareness and cultural competency are important in the field of counseling. MulticulturalRead MoreDiversity Affects Communication898 Words   |  4 PagesCommunication 1. What is cultural diversity? Why is an appreciation of diversity important in communication? Cultural diversity is having a group made up of people from various ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, etc. Having an appreciation of diversity is extremely important and essential for effective communication. For example, if you are a person that makes a lot of gestures to express yourself but you are attempting to communicate with someone who comes from a culture that does not utilizeRead MoreThe Self Assessment Tool Is The Best Learning System For Managing Diverse Societies1114 Words   |  5 Pagesconsisted of two significant moves across the states. Born and raised in southern Florida till I was eight, I was not very exposed to much diversity until moving to California, at age 8 to 15 years old, where I was exposed to mass amounts of diversity and culture. In completing this self-assessment survey, I learned a great deal about myself and the ability to bring to light my strengths and challenges in multicultural awareness and becoming more culturally competent in my nursing sk ills. I have alwaysRead MoreMulticultural Education : Characteristics And Goals1434 Words   |  6 PagesAs James A. Banks describes in his book Multicultural Education: Characteristics and Goals, multicultural education is the idea behind creating equal educational opportunities for all students, independently of their race, ethnicity, or social-class. It is an important influencing factor of the school environment that reflects the diverse cultural groups of its community. Multicultural education is also the process teachers and administrators follow in order to achieve the ideal of equal educationRead MorePart 1. Answer The Following Questions About Yourself.1495 Words   |  6 Pagesparticular ethnic/cultural group). †¢ What is your ethnic/cultural/linguistic identity? †¢ What has it meant to belong to your ethnic/cultural group? †¢ What do you like about your ethnic/cultural identity? †¢ What do you dislike about your ethnic/cultural identity? †¢ What are the advantages or disadvantages of belonging to the ethnic/cultural group you identify with? Self-reflecting on my ethnic and cultural background is always interesting because I have grown up in so many different countriesRead MoreWhat Does Ethnicity Affect A Person s Identity?1735 Words   |  7 Pages In a multicultural society like the United State, people are often defined by their ethnicity and background rather than their characteristics. It is often difficult to look past a person’s ethnicity because many people make these assumptions in their head before even knowing the person. This issue leads to the question to what extent ethnicity affects a person’s identity in the United States. I believe that ethnic background plays a big role in determining a person’s identity in the United StatesRead MoreMother Tongue Essay795 Words   |  4 Pagesbilingual and multicultural people in the world today. For many, the choices of which language they use, and how they use it, correspond to what social or cultural community they belong to. Amy Tan, a Chines e American novelist, portrays this well in her short essay Mother Tongue. Tan grew up in two vastly different worlds, using different Englishes. The first world, which consists of her close family, she speaks what we may call broken or limited English. The second world, which is her businessRead MoreWhat Makes A Person American?1052 Words   |  5 PagesFrom our own eyes, we can see the changes America has gone through everyday. The history of America is an enormous textbook that is impossible to complete in one semester of history class. Related to every country in the world, people have controversial opinions on America. Some felt America has the best value and she absolutely lived up to her own intentions while some felt America didn’t live up to her promises. However, I still like America even though she has many flaws. I like America becauseRead MoreTransnational And Global Perspectives1164 Words   |  5 Pagesopportunity to immerse myself in Europe’s rich hi story, understand its contemporary struggles, and explore its multicultural identity. I propose study towards the Masters of European Studies: Transnational and Global Perspectives (MAES) at KU Leuven. By studying broader European diplomacy with the Middle East and Eurasia while also researching Belgian Islamic multiculturalism, I will explore two primary questions. First, how can European conflicts be effectively addressed through cooperation beyond theRead MoreMulticultural Education : A Truly Multicultural Mosaic1259 Words   |  6 PagesMulticultural education incorporates the idea that all students- regardless of their gender, social class, and ethnic, racial, or cultural characteristics- should have an equal opportunity to learn in school, (Banks Banks, 2010, p. 3.) For centuries our country, the United States of America, has been known as the â€Å"melting pot† in a sense that our world was moving towards multiculturalism. Some see the old metaphor, the â€Å"meltin g pot† fading away within the last decade and has grown into a new term(s)

No comments:

Post a Comment