How does the concentration affect the rate of a reaction?
To check the effect of concentration on the rate of a chemical substance reaction between sodium thiosulphate solution and hydrochloric acidulated.
I will look into the reaction between different concentrations of sodium thiosulphate solution with hydrochloric acid.
Na2S2O3(aq) + HCL(aq) = S(s) = H2O(l) + SO2(g) + NaCl(s)
(sodium thiosulphate + hydrochloric acid = sulphur + water + sulphur dioxide + sodium chloride)
There are troika personal manners of measuring the rate of reaction:
1. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â By find the time taken for a precipitate to obscure a mark on a piece of paper/card.
2. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â variety show in mass (usu each(prenominal)y caused by a gas existence given off)
3. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â The volume of gas given off by using a syringe.
There are four factors that affect the evaluate of reaction:
1. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Temperature.
2. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Concentration (pressure in the case of a gas).
3. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â size of particles (surface area).
4. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Presence of a catalyst.
The collision theory is a way of explaining the above factors which effect the rate of reaction. The four factors can be explained in footing of increase the number of collisions, and in terms of temperature, increases the rate at which collisions occur.
When temperature is increased, the particles move more quickly, hence increasing the number of collisions. The temperature increase makes the particles move faster by well-favoured them more energy. It is this way that collisions can happen at a faster rate.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â The temperature will be controlled in this experiment. This is because we are lone(prenominal) testing the effects of changing the concentration, and if the temperature varies too, we will not stay put an accurate result. We will make sure the temperature is the same all the way through.
If the solution is made more concentrated, it...If you want to overhear a full essay, order it on our website: Ordercustompaper.com
If you want to get a full essay, wisit our page: write my paper